Pop star Anastacia is to donate her fee from Strictly Come Dancing to a breast cancer charity, she has revealed.
The 47-year-old US singer was treated for breast cancer in 2003 and underwent a double mastectomy when the disease returned in 2013.
She said she wanted to “give as much as I can back to the women and to a cure” and to “make a difference”.
She is among the 15 celebrities taking part in the new series of the BBC One dance show, which begins on Saturday.
Anastacia told BBC News she would ask friends to add to her contribution.
She said: “I’m going to try to ask as many of my mates that might have a couple of extra dollars to match what I make.
“So whatever I end up making I just want them to match it.”
Anastacia shot to international fame in 2000 with her debut song I’m Outta Love, which she performed on the Strictly Blackpool special last year.
She has not said how much her fee is worth or which charity it will go to.
The star was speaking at the red carpet launch event for the show’s 14th series, which will also feature singer Will Young, Olympic long jumper Greg Rutherford, BBC Breakfast’s Naga Munchetty and former Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls.
Balls revealed he was feeling “totally intimidated”.
“I’ve never danced properly before, let alone on national television,” he said. “It’s totally out of my comfort zone.
“They’re all fit and dynamic and know what they’re doing. So it’s going to be a struggle but I’m really looking forward to it.”
Balls said he was used to facing former Prime Minister David Cameron and ex-Chancellor George Osborne on the floor of the House of Commons – but was not prepared for the dancefloor.
“I’ve done live TV, I’ve done performing on a stage, I’ve done the House of Commons. But doing this on Strictly is like nothing else,” he added.
“The House of Commons, David Cameron, George Osborne – has it prepared me for this? Not at all.”
Balls lost his seat as an MP at last year’s general election.
On Saturday, viewers will see which professional dancers the celebrities have been paired with.
Judges Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli, Darcey Bussell and Craig Revel Horwood will return – although this will be the last series for Goodman.
Long-serving professional Brendan Cole is among those rumoured to be in the frame to take his place next year.
He said: “It’s going to be sad not to have Len, he’s part of the furniture, and whoever replaces Len [will have] massive shoes to fill.
“If I’m even considered as a possibility, that would be a massive honour. But for now, the focus is on the dancing and whoever I’m partnered with.”
Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37248258